Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Ants and Bookworms

Sugar ants. Everywhere!!!! I made a trip to the big city Friday to take a test for a state job. I decided to stop at the local Chick-fil-a drive through at lunch to get a bite to eat. This was the most unusual drive through I have ever been through. It made a spiral around the building! The only problem with it was that when you got your food at the window, you had to go through the outer line of cars in the drive through line AND try not to get creamed by outgoing traffic. Anyway, back to the ant story. I was in the drive through line that wasn't moving. My temp gauge in the truck was slowly rising, so I turned on the heater for a few minutes in an attempt to bring the temp down. Lord knows I don't want that stupid thing to strand me in a drive-thru line!!! When I turned the heat on, lots of crud and dust came flying out of the vents, covering me. I shook it off and went about my business ordering lunch. I ate my chik'n sammich and made it to my test early. When I was done with the test, I got back in the truck for the ride home and the console was COVERED in ants. GROSS!! Some were alive but most were dead. Nooo, not in a locked up car in this heat!?!?! There must have been 2 lbs of ants covering the console and carpet. Being a neat freak, I had serious issues with this. I felt so gross driving home with ants all over the place. Bright and early Saturday morning, I got up and started the de-antification process. Needless to say the truck hasn't been vacuumed or cleaned in months. I spent about 3 hours vacuuming, armor alling, windexing and leather cleaning. That should last her a few more months!

Now on to the bookworm section of this post. SH finished reading Marley and Me and passed it on to me. I won't give away any of the story, but if you are a pet owner and/or a labrador retriever owner, you will certainly be able to relate to the author and Marley. It was a wonderful read. I finished it in two readings. I couldn't bring myself to stop. The last time I did that with a book was when DaVinci Code came out. I read from the time I woke up to the time I fell asleep. I even read it in the car whilst we were traveling through Atlanta. Anyone who knows me knows how much I loathe the trip through Atlanta. I normally pop a Valium and recline the seat back for that drive. Anyway, if you are looking for a great book, give Marley and Me a try. I am willing to bet you will love it. Prior to Marley and Me, I read We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle. It was absolute hilarity. I have to get some of her other books. In between bookworming, I watched Shindler's List. I saw parts of it several years ago but never really knew the story. I knew I was in for a long ride since it arrived on two DVDs. I had been holding off for when I knew I had three hours to commit to it. I have always been fascinated/horrified with the Holocaust. I remember watching some documentaries as a child about concentration camps and for some reason I was under the impression that that is how everyone died. I think that is why I used to fear death so much. I almost had to turn the movie off at one point, I didn't think I could take it anymore. It made me so sad. I figured I needed to trudge through it. Of course at the very end of the movie I was bawling yet again. Whew.

No comments: