Thursday, September 20, 2007

One not so crafty bitch

The past few weeks have been very un-creative for me. I no longer have the time to devote to what I really love to do, create things. My work has become all I think about from the time I rise to the time I got to sleep. It has even made its way into my dreams...nightmares actually. I feel I am doing my best to learn everything they are throwing my way, but it is just so much. When did I start college again???!!!

I started a new doily earlier in the week and made it through several rounds but as I started another round, I found a boo-boo at the beginning of the previous round so I ripped it all out to start that round again. I haven't started back. Maybe I will work on it this weekend.

I now think that the toe is really broken. After two weeks, it is still swollen and tender. I can move it, but the motion is very limited and painful. I feel at times that it is a "ghost toe". It seems to not want to follow the movement of the rest of the toes. When I take my work shoes off, I find it kind of overlapping the toe next to it. Very odd. I have tried to spend any "free" time I have with the foot up but that hasn't helped one iota. About 97% of my workday is spent standing and running around, and I know that doesn't help. I have never had a broken bone, let alone a bad sprain, so all this discomfort, pain and immobility is new to me.

I even think I am developing some kind of arthritis or tendon issue in my right hand. This morning I had trouble grasping things. Mainly with my thumb and forefinger. When I tried to pick up something or turn my wrist, a dull pain would radiate through those fingers towards the wrist. Simple things such as picking up the Brita filter or turnng on a faucet makes it hurt. I am going to do my best to not over-exert and over-use the hand but that going to be a difficult task for me. I guess I will does up on ibuprofins. That should help both the toe and the wrist.

I got some sad news Monday evening. I knew it was coming and it was only a matter of time before it happened. My Oma died Monday morning. She has been in hospice for a few months and her health has been declining over the last 4 years. She has had several other problems over the past few months that actually should have killed her. She developed sepsis following a UTI and bladder infection that went unnoticed for a while. Somehow they got those problems under control with some hella-high dose antibiotic and she made it through. I think she just didn't wake up this time. I take comfort knowing that she isn't in pain anymore and is now with her beloved husband, my Opa, who died in 2002. SH and I are leaving for North Carolina tomorrow for the funeral.

*Oma is the german word for Grandmother. Opa is the german word for Grandfather. My brother and I started calling our grandparents this since we lived in Germany as children.

No comments: