Thursday, November 1, 2007

Charity blanket and a Chicken

With a week off, I have almost finished the charity blanket. I have 2 more strips to make before I can stitch them all together. Maybe that project will be finished over the weekend. I wanted to share a recipe we made for dinner last night. It was absolutely fabulous. It came from an episode of Good Eats on Food TV. The host, Alton Brown is one of my all time favorite TV chefs. His shows are so informative and his recipes are wonderful. This one is super easy and well worth the hour and a half cooking time. Peeling the garlic takes some effort, but you will enjoy the end result.

40 Cloves and a Chicken
1 whole chicken (broiler/fryer) cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
10 sprigs fresh thyme
40 peeled cloves garlic
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide fry pan or skillet over high heat. Remove from heat, add oil, thyme, and garlic cloves. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove chicken from the oven, let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, carve, and serve.

When I started fixing my plate, my chicken fell off the bone it was so tender. The cooked garlic cloves are wonderful smooshed onto bread. This dish is going to be a regular fixture at our dinner table.

No comments: